Wednesday, December 28, 2005

I'll Be Honest

Warning: there's an awful lot in this post about how I feel. If this is likely to offend because you think a debate should be objective, try skipping to the end or something. I think it's necessary to explain why I haven't been updating and where I am at the moment.

I've been ignoring updating this blog - or procrastinating, if you will.

There, I've said it, you can flame me now.

But I'm going to have a go at explaining why and maybe you'll understand.

Over the last couple of months things with me and faith (as in religion, not the very nice girl in our youth group ;)) have changed a bit - I would like to hasten to add here that I have not had a crisis, I haven't converted to Islam or anything like that. I still believe Christianity is true and indeed the only truth, etc etc.

But I've sort of come to realise that the way my beliefs were expressed in my life doesn't quite fit anymore - because my life has changed a lot, the way my faith affects my life must also (to some extent) change. This is something I've sort of been thinking about and - to be honest - being uncomfortable about over the last couple of months. I didn't feel confident enough with the way I am thinking about faith and living to come and talk about it in a debate setting. I guess I half-consciously felt I needed to work something out for myself before I could talk about this issue "publicly". I felt that things in my life weren't quite right but more importantly, they weren't quite honest. Did quite a bit of reading yesterday (book mentioned below) and quite a bit of journalling and now I feel I'm in a place where yeah, things in my life aren't quite perfect (humanity is like that) but at least I'm being honest with myself and God, properly honest rather than vaguely honest, and so I can talk about it (type about it) to/with others without being a hypocrite.

Mum gave me a book for Christmas (one she wants to read, the cheek ;)). It's called Velvet Elvis (weird title ... it is explained but it's still weird) and is about the need, as Christians, to keep changing because there's always more to explore and because if things don't change they become irrelevant. I don't think faith is ever irrelevant, but I do think that sometimes the ways it is expressed can be.

I feel in some ways that I know less than I used to know, partly because things are more complicated than they used to be. This will be a relief to people who consider me a stuck-up know-it-all ;).

So Lucie, I'll have a go at answering your questions. It'll be the best I can do in this place at this time. It may not be right, because it'll be a mixture of the Bible (which *is* right) and my own interpretation/opinion (which is fallible - very much so).

"If God made a plan, and is omnipresent and omniscient, then when he created Adam and Eve he knew they would fall with the serpent there to tempt them."

Yes. Personally I can't see how you could wriggle out of that one - if God knows everything, he must've known that Adam and Eve wouldn't cope.

"If he didn't intend for this to happen, how can everything be according to God's plan?"

I think that the important word here is "intend". I guess I'm not sure if God intended this to happen. I think it's clear that he didn't *want* it to happen, but that's different, as I'm sure you'll appreciate - our English stuff taught us the importance of lexis, didn't it? lol.

I'm not sure about how "God's plan" works. I don't know whether (for example) someone dropping a coffee cup and it breaking is included in God's plan for their life - on the one hand, it does say in Psalm 139 that "all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be". But is that King David being poetic (note that the Psalms are songs or poems and so it is certainly appropriate to talk about poetic stuff in this part of the Bible) or does he really mean that somewhere God had written down/noted "David, entry #1359876. Got up. Would've brushed teeth if the toothbrush hadn't been nonexistent. Rubbed teeth with salt instead. Walked downstairs. Dropped pottery. Pottery broke - annoyed as was favourite bowl. Went ...".

God knows what we'll do. Does that mean that He's scripted it all out beforehand, or that He just knows because He's outside of time and so He's seen us do it and knows that we will? (Kind of like that bit in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban) I lean towards the latter, but I wouldn't swear on it.

"And why did he put the tree there in the first place, if not for them to fall?"

The explanation I've always tended towards is that you cannot be truly free to choose what to do with your life if your only choices are ones that someone else wants. That there had to be a way for Adam and Eve to break away from God if they so chose, or they weren't truly choosing to stay with Him. Faithfulness doesn't mean much if it's entirely enforced and there's no choice about it.

"If it is the case that it was a test, and we failed, then as his creations are we not flawed? He created us flawed - does that mean that God is flawed, or that he intended all humans to fall and be imperfect?"

Personally I don't think it was a test, exactly. I think it was there as the capability to make the wrong choice (capability's not quite the right word in terms of grammar but I think it explains what I mean). I think that the fall shows that Adam and Eve were capable of making wrong choices, and that that means that we as humans are capable of making wrong choices (which I don't think anyone would seriously deny). In my opinion this means that God intended all humans to have the choice between doing what is right or what is not.

A common illustration I have heard is that if God wanted a race of people who always got it right, he would have had to make robots and so their devotion to him would not be meaningful. I don't really know if I think that's a good illustration or not but it might help so I include it for your consideration.

"If this is the case, then why?"

Well, I've sort of said "that's not the case - or at least I don't really think it is" so luckily I don't really have to answer this one.

"Why did he want to create a race of people when a large proportion of them would go to hell? "

I don't know. I really don't know. The irreverant would say something like "He was bored", probably, but of course that is not a satisfactory answer.

"What is he proving, what is his purpose?"

I don't know. If anyone claims they know they're either Jesus or they're insane, in my opinion.

A side note: I've just reread the beginning of Genesis and as far as I can see it doesn't say how long Adam and Eve were in the garden for. It doesn't say how long they got it right. The bit about the fall starts with "Now the serpent was more crafty ..." not anything about the time. It says in Genesis 5 that when Adam was 130, they had their third son Seth, and that was after they had left the garden (and also after they'd had Cain and Abel and Cain had killed Abel). So, feasibly, they *could've* been doing things right for 100 years (of course it could've been 3 days or something). Perhaps mankind has the potential to be less flawed than we think.

8 Insightful insults:

Blogger Blinky The Potato Girl said...

Interesting answers. I think Carol's right that some of the questions I asked will never be answered in a way that satisfies us, as we can't actually comment on what God was thinking - if indeed he thinks with a conscious personality at all.

But the mention of hell, and of right and wrong, leads me onto my next point. Disregarding his motivation, I've always wondered how it was judged which things are morally right and morally wrong.
For instance, "thou shalt not kill", which is pretty much the most famous Biblical command that I know. It's pretty explicit, at first glance - KILLING BAD. But what does killing cover?
Does killing cover other animals, or just humans? Obviously it can't cover EVERY kind of life on the planet or humans would starve (eating fruit kind of being the plant equivilant of abortion). So thou shalt not kill humans would be a bit more accurate. Or, depending on interpretation, animals as well.
What about self-defence? If someone is trying to stab you with a knife, and you manage to get the knife and stab them, and they die, that's still killing. Would such a reaction be condemned? What about war? If we hadn't jumped in during world war II, the consequences would have been horrific, but it still resulted in the deaths of thousands. Young men went into the battlefield and killed people who were just following orders - was this also evil and morally wrong? Or did the future deaths it prevented justify this act?

My point is less about the specifics of what is murder, and more about the grey area in the concepts of 'right' and 'wrong'. The Bible condemns sex outside marriage as a terrible sin, but I can't believe that. I can understand that sex outside a monogomous relationship usually leads to more pain and misery than it does anything good, not to mention the danger of diseases, but within the context of a long-term secure relationship, why is this so terrible?
I often judge what's right and wrong by feelings, although I'm sure Mark will be horrified by the suggestion ;). But is my sense of right and wrong guided by an inherent intuition as to whether my actions are harmful or simply a product of my upbringing? Do I only feel guilt when I have been taught something is wrong?

Bit of a long comment, but one final point that always bothers me in the arguments for God creating heaven and hell... What the heck happened to the middle ground?
Yes, I understand that those who sin and don't accept a saviour can't go into heaven. According to you guys, that's me, among many others.
But are those sins so terrible as that they deserve a punishment of eternal torture? Would it not be bad enough to see, hey, there's God, and oh darn now I have to exist for eternity knowing I will always be separate from him. Does any crime deserve torture as a punishment? Nevermind eternal torture.

Lucie

29/12/05 7:58 pm  
Blogger Jingle Bella said...

Quick point: not murdering is a bit different from not killing. As I understand things, the 10 commandments don't actually condemn killing - after all, in the Old Testament God does specifically tell his people to kill at times, which'd be a bit odd if he'd said in the previous chapter "no killing at all". Killing animals and plants was also acceptable, or else the sacrifices (which include both animals and plant-based products like bread, oil etc).

"What the heck happened to the middle ground?" ... I think that'll have to be the subject for a new post *starts musing*

30/12/05 10:52 am  
Blogger Blinky The Potato Girl said...

Ooh, sounds good to me.
*awaits new postiness*

Lucie

30/12/05 9:36 pm  
Blogger Jingle Bella said...

Another Quick Point:
"Would it not be bad enough to see, hey, there's God, and oh darn now I have to exist for eternity knowing I will always be separate from him."
a) as far as I am aware, one way of interpreting the Bible's teachings on hell is that that *is* the horribleness of hell - seeing how good God is and knowing that you'll always and forever be separated from Him because you didn't choose to be with Him.
b) a lot of the "popular" view of hell (different levels, punishments, lots of torturous devices etc etc) comes from fiction, as far as I am aware. The Bible certainly makes it clear that it is Not A Fun Place and Not Somewhere You Want To Be but doesn't dwell on it that much or give masses of detail. It's where Satan and his fallen angels will end up, it's where people who don't believe in Jesus will end up, and heaven is certainly preferable to it - that covers the basics of what's made clear in the Bible as far as I am aware.

7/1/06 11:28 pm  
Blogger Blinky The Potato Girl said...

Hmmm. I was under the impression there was some reference to a lake of fire or something? Or at least that's what one oh-so-friendly "christian" told me I'd burn in... Don't worry guys, I know it's the minority.

What I find odd is how some stuff in the Bible is seen as metaphorical, and then other bits taken so literally? For instance, God creating the earth in seven days, and all of Jesus' miracles are usually taken to be, well, gospel. But the following reference: "Moreover, the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold as the light of seven days" (Isaiah 30:26) is a metaphor, otherwise the temperature of heaven would be 525C...

Hehe.

14/1/06 4:25 pm  
Blogger Pop! said...

*Pulls out flamethrower*

Anybody gotta light?

15/1/06 9:52 pm  
Blogger Pop! said...

OK, I've read beyond the third paragraph of Carol's post now... In fact I've read all the comments in this thingy so far.

I realise I too have neglected this blog recently, (my crappy excuse is that I'm adapting to university life extremely slowly,) but I wrote some stuff yesterday with the intention of posting it today.

Thing is, it seems you're all discussing different areas of Christianity to what my post was about, so I'm going to need more time to ferment these new ideas and remove the insults (I had a headache) from my post before it goes up here.

Sorry to keep you waiting but... well... There's nothing you can do about it. I don't write well when put under pressure. Heck, I don't write well normally. My mind gets all jumbled up and my fingers just sit there bored.

Pressure-wise, it's bad enough that I have squillions of air particles bashing into me as it is. They keep making me hit the wrong keys.

ozovatid

Mark.

15/1/06 10:29 pm  
Blogger Jingle Bella said...

That's cool, I'm not hugely good at updating stuff anymore either ...

Yes, there is a reference to a lake of fire. And it was very tactless of whoever said it to you ... but is this lake metaphorical or literal? Not a clue, personally. It could well be literal. Do we have physical bodies after we die? Well, Jesus did after He came back to life (it's hard to eat fish and touch people without one) which suggests that we would, I guess ... or does that only apply to people who are "reborn" or "resurrected" because they believe in Christ and not to unbelievers? *shrugs* confusing concepts ...

19/1/06 6:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home